Tuesday 05/08/2012

Low Metallicity ISM: excess submillimetre emission and CO-free H2 gas

Authors:Suzanne C. Madden, Aurelie Remy, Frederic Galliano, Maud Galametz, George Bendo, Diane Cormier, Vianney Lebouteiller, Sacha Hony, the Herschel SAG 2 Consortium
(Submitted on 7 May 2012)

Abstract: The low metallicity interstellar medium of dwarf galaxies gives a different picture in the far infrared(FIR)/submillimetre(submm)wavelengths than the more metal-rich galaxies. Excess emission is often found in the submm beginning at or beyond 500 mu. Even without taking this excess emission into account as a possible dust component, higher dust-to-gas mass ratios (DGR) are often observed compared to that expected from their metallicity for moderately metal-poor galaxies.
The SEDs of the lowest metallicity galaxies, however, give very low dust masses and excessively low values of DGR, inconsistent with the amount of metals expected to be captured into dust if we presume the usual linear relationship holding for all metallicities, including the more metal-rich galaxies. This transition seems to appear near metalllicities of 12 + log(O/H) ~ 8.0 – 8.2. These results rely on accurately quantifying the total molecular gas reservoir, which is uncertain in low metallicity galaxies due to the difficulty in detecting CO(1-0) emission. Dwarf galaxies show an exceptionally high [CII] 158 mu/CO (1-0) ratio which may be indicative of a significant reservoir of ‘CO-free’ molecular gas residing in the photodissociated envelope, and not traced by the small CO cores.

Comments: Conference proceedings IAU Symposium 284 “The Spectral energy distribution of galaxies”, 5-9 September 2011, Preston, UK
Subjects: Cosmology and Extragalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO)
Cite as: arXiv:1205.1332v1 [astro-ph.CO]

Cool and warm dust emission from M33 (HerM33es)

Authors:E. M. Xilouris, F. S. Tabatabaei, M. Boquien, C. Kramer, C. Buchbender, F. Bertoldi, S. Anderl, J. Braine, S. Verley, M. Relano, G. Quintana-Lacaci, S. Akras, R. Beck, D. Calzetti, F. Combes, M. Gonzalez, P. Gratier, C. Henkel, F. Israel, B. Koribalski, S. Lord, B. Mookerjea, E. Rosolowsky, G. Stacey, R. P. J. Tilanus, F. van der Tak, P. van der Werf
(Submitted on 7 May 2012)

Abstract: We study the far-infrared emission from the nearby spiral galaxy M33 in order to investigate the dust physical properties such as the temperature and the luminosity density across the galaxy. Taking advantage of the unique wavelength coverage (100, 160, 250, 350 and 500 micron) of the Herschel Space Observatory and complementing our dataset with Spitzer-IRAC 5.8 and 8 micron and Spitzer-MIPS 24 and 70 micron data, we construct temperature and luminosity density maps by fitting two modified blackbodies of a fixed emissivity index of 1.5. We find that the ‘cool’ dust grains are heated at temperatures between 11 and 28 K with the lowest temperatures found in the outskirts of the galaxy and the highest ones in the center and in the bright HII regions. The infrared/submillimeter total luminosity (5 – 1000 micron) is estimated to be 1.9×10^9 Lsun. 59% of the total luminosity of the galaxy is produced by the ‘cool’ dust grains (~15 K) while the rest 41% is produced by ‘warm’ dust grains (~55 K). The ratio of the cool-to-warm dust luminosity is close to unity (within the computed uncertainties), throughout the galaxy, with the luminosity of the cool dust being slightly enhanced in the center of the galaxy. Decomposing the emission of the dust into two components (one emitted by the diffuse disk of the galaxy and one emitted by the spiral arms) we find that the fraction of the emission in the disk in the mid-infrared (24 micron) is 21%, while it gradually rises up to 57% in the submillimeter (500 micron). We find that the bulk of the luminosity comes from the spiral arm network that produces 70% of the total luminosity of the galaxy with the rest coming from the diffuse dust disk. The ‘cool’ dust inside the disk is heated at a narrow range of temperatures between 18 and 15 K (going from the center to the outer parts of the galaxy).

Comments: 12 pages, 14 figures, accepted for publication in A&A
Subjects: Cosmology and Extragalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO)
Cite as: arXiv:1205.1351v1 [astro-ph.CO]
Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s